Tuesday 5 August 2014

Postcards from Bario

If you mentioned the name ‘Bario’ to me 1 year ago, I would have asked you what Bario is, and to be completely honest, I will have to admit that the word ‘Kelabit’ only ever registered to me as an ‘ethnic group’ in East Malaysia. Today, I not only know where Bario is, but I also have 16 days’ worth of priceless memories and experiences that come along with it. 


Bario landscape- as green as meets the eye.

Undoubtedly, Bario is a very beautiful place. An image of all those paddy fields, longhouses and pineapple plantations tucked into the valleys of lush rolling hills make a pretty laptop wallpaper. But Bario is so much more than a photo opportunity. This place is rich with culture, has a great community and people who would take great measures to make sure that their home feels a little bit like your home too.

I fondly remember the first day when the 9 of us Project WHEE participants arrived at Tepu’ Sinah Rang’s homestay (for those who do not know, Tepu’ Sinah Rang is our homestay host). Upon seeing us, her face lit up and she gave all of us huge hugs, calling us her ‘susuks’ (grandchildren in Kelabit). I felt extremely touched by this woman who didn’t even know us but was so joyed by our presence; this woman who was so warm to us strangers on our first day in a foreign environment. The hospitality amazed me to no end and I felt honoured to be welcomed into her home.

Women dancing to a Kelabit song during church service. 
Having lived in the city the whole 20 years of my life, I don’t think I have ever felt such a great sense of community and care before. During church services and social events, you could see the camaraderie shared and formed between members of the community through warm smiles and engaging conversations. Watching the longhouse neighbours sit by the fireplace one night, just talking and sharing with each other, it made me reflect on my own life back in Kuala Lumpur. Most of us ‘budak bandar’ get so caught up in our daily lives; school, Internet, shopping, watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones, that we don’t take the time of day to get to know the people who live literally beside us. Speaking of which, I didn’t even know the name of my neighbours. Do you?

Here's to everyone, and all the memories that follow.


 “A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience”- Oliver Wendall Holmes. The 16 days spent in Bario consisted of many worthy moments that I will carry with me for a long long time. I was blessed to have shared this amazing experience with equally amazing people. The people that I have worked with and met complemented our project goals and aims perfectly like salt and pepper. Living together with 10 other people -people you have never met in your life- under the same roof for 16 days could have driven anybody up the wall. But to have batch mates (people whom I now proudly call my close friends) who share similar sentiments, mind-set and project goals … now that’s what made the Project WHEE experience and those insightful moments complete. And for that, I am thankful. 



Rachel Khoo

No comments:

Post a Comment