Tuesday 5 August 2014

A Lesson On Independence

One morning in Bario, I woke up 15 minutes earlier than I normally do to wash my clothes (as I was running out of pairs to wear). As I was walking to the open air passage that connected the homes with the common hall, I witnessed our neighbor drying her clothes. Before I move on, I must highlight that this woman is almost a hundred years old. I remained under a shade as I watched her cheerfulness at doing a chore. She lifted her black pants from the red pail slowly without an ounce of complain. When her hand with the wet pants in it, reached the railing, she paused to look up and enjoy the cotton candy cloud filled sky.


There are two things I need to point out. One, I seldom do chores at home, besides looking after my own things. Most of the cooking and cleaning is done by my Superwoman mum. Secondly, my need for independence has always been a strong quality with me. However, until I came to Bario, I realized that independence is not only achieved with being allowed to do something on own but also to make decisions by ourselves.

Independence can be shaped by just the simple act of looking after our own self. This is a beautiful lesson that Bario taught me. This was highly amplified by the sense of independence that this woman had, even with her old age. In that very moment I watched her, I only wished that if I were to live to be her age, I would live life as cheerfully and independently as she did.


I emerged from the shade and walked up to her, greeting her with the common Kelabit greeting for Good Morning "Petabi leketang". She flashed me a genuine smile and carried on looking at the blue sky above.

The blue sky view you get from that very spot we were that morning,
Jedida Ravi

No comments:

Post a Comment