Monday 4 August 2014

For Ms.Nicole

THANK YOU MS. NICOLE!

Firstly, I would like to say sorry to Ms.Nicole for losing the small black beaded anklet she gave it to me at the Bario Airport. I lost the anklet together with my iPad Mini at the Famous Amos Kiosk in Miri Airport due to my carelessness. I thought that the safest place to keep the anklet was in the back pocket of my iPad Mini cover. It was just a matter of five minutes and I lost the most precious gift I had received. Honestly, I was crushed at that moment and it was the first time my course mates and best friends saw me in tears. Everyone thought that I cried because of my iPad but I cried because I lost the anklet.

Why was that anklet so important to me that I was not completely sad on losing my iPad but only the small black beaded anklet mattered?

During my two weeks of stay in Bario, I am pretty sure that the conversations I had with Ms.Nicole did not exceed more than  five minutes. Honestly, I just had a simple bond with her because I did not make the effort to get to know her since I only met her during the debriefing session we had every night and some “Hey, I bumped into Ms. Nicole today” moments.

It was a rainy day and all of my friends including Aunty Janet, Ms. Nicole’s mother and Tepu Uloh were chilling at the fireplace and talking all sorts of stories. Ms. Nicole sat beside me and I noticed that she was wearing a pretty and small black beaded anklet with some other colorful beads attached to it. I asked Ms.Nicole from where did she buy the anklet and she replied that the anklet was made on her own. She started explaining to me how she beaded the anklet and it was interesting to listen to because I could see the excitement in her eyes. I kept praising her creativity and her talent. I guess that was the longest conversation I had with her.

At the airport, Ms.Nicole called me aside and told me, ‘Divya, I want you to have this anklet and I am gifting it to you”. At that time, I felt so guilty and angry with myself for my reluctance had made me sort of “lose” a special bonding that I could have formed with Ms. Nicole and it mattered a lot to me. I felt like an ungrateful person and I kept saying sorry to her. I did not know how to thank her so I just engulfed her in a bone-crushing hug. Although she said it’s okay when I apologized to her for my behavior, I felt really bad and I could not process the series of events that happened next at the airport with Ms. Nicole. I took a picture with Ms. Nicole and it was the first one during my entire stay in Bario.
Ms.Nicole

I truly, deeply, and honestly thank Ms.Nicole for the anklet that she gave because it showed me that wherever you are, always try to acknowledge and create a small bond with  the people surrounding you. You might meet and be with them just for an hour or two but the bond, which you create with them, is special and you must always cherish, as it will be in your heart always. It is also a sense of respect in the form of love. Love is not only showed by being caring and affectionate to someone but also in the form of respect because you need to respect the person before you show your love to them.

I missed that opportunity and I would like to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment