Sunday 3 August 2014

Personal development- (How much has Bario changed the way I think?)



I was a teenage girl that never had the chance to escape from a materialistic world. Those with the coolest cars, gadgets, houses, bags and etc are those I lived and get along with. Once I told one of my course mates, "I think my life is kinda miserable. Every single day I asked myself, why am I here? What am I doing? Am I doing things for a reason or a purpose? Or am I doing things because I love what I am doing?"

I asked her and at the same time I am asking myself the same thing all over and over again. Surprisingly, her reply to my question was priceless, and when I say priceless it means 10 times richer than the knowledge I have gained from schools. Oh man, she is one year younger than me and she knew so much about life. Haha you are too mature for that age, my friend.
That happened approximately one week before we flew off to Bario. I had just more than enough time to prepare myself mentally for the two week volunteer trip.

Bario Airport

we are here!

cute little girl

lotus flowers
One of those days when I was walking around the town and enjoying the view in Bario, I stared at those beautiful kids playing in groups at the backyard and I realized that, 'Oh my god hey, i think this is what i am looking for!' - I learnt that one does not need to put effort to feel stress-free, it comes freely and naturally. But sometimes, circumstances do not allow me to do what I really want. Besides that, there is always plenty of time and limited space for me to have fun in the city. What are g-shock, charles and keith, nike and etc meant to me now? Well, guessed they are no longer my priorities anymore. The people of Bario, Bario's beautiful scenery, their strong belief in God, their cultures, literally everything about Bario, I am just too in love with all of it. In fact, money does not buy and provide lasting happiness.

pray before we had our delicious meal! yum.

All in all, I just love how amazing, influencing and meaningful is the town, to me. Instead of saying we are there to help them by improving their English; I would say they were there to teach me about life. I am no longer feeling threatened and insecure with today's society, I live to impress myself; not others :)

Xara

No comments:

Post a Comment