Tuesday 5 August 2014

Undo the Balan

Before leaving for Bario, I was told that to be given a Kelabit name is something special and that it has to be given without one asking for it. I was also told that when you have been given a name, you have to live up to it.

What I did not know was that the Kelabits do take their names very seriously. For those of you who do not know, Kelabits change their names twice in life; when they become parents and when they become grandparents.

Anyway, here’s the story of how I got my Kelabit name.

One afternoon, Daniel (one of the two project coordinators) and I were sitting at the dining table, chatting while waiting for lunch. One Tepu' walked towards us and started a conversation with Daniel. She saw me and asked him what my name was.

I introduced myself as Wai Min. She said it once, repeated it, and then said it again. Then she said, “Balan, saya bagi Balan.” (Balan, I’ll give you (the name) Balan)

Daniel and I looked at each other, not really sure what to do. Aunty Nicole (Bario Asal coordinator) who was sitting a few seats away from us heard the Kelabit name that I was given and immediately rushed into the kitchen to find the lady I was assigned to, Tepu' Sina Rang.  Within seconds, Tepu' Sina Rang was out of the kitchen. While buckling her waist pouch, she walked very quickly towards us.  It was an unfamiliar sight because Tepu' is usually "super chill".

Immediately, she undid the name Balan and named me ‘Lian’ instead, after her late husband. Aunty Nicole told me that I should accept and take the name given by Tepu' Sina Rang because she knows me better - and that I should not just accept and take the name given by a "passerby".

I was and still am so touched to have been given a name that means so much to my Tepu' and her family.


So here’s to you, Tepu' – thank you very much for giving me such a meaningful name. 

Lian will strive to live up to his name.

Kan Wai Min aka Lian

No comments:

Post a Comment