Friday 1 August 2014

The little sampan

Tepu' Uloh is pulling the "sampan".
The "sampan" in the picture is different from what we normally see in other places. Tepu' Uloh told me that the "sampan" is not made of planks or cut wood. To make the "sampan", you have to cut the tree into half, hollowing out the middle part. Then it forms the "sampan". Tepu' Uloh will use the "sampan" to send the grasses that in the paddy fields to the lane. 






The first and the last time at the paddy field in Bario.




Felice and I had experienced to pull the "sampan" to the lane and it was really heavy! Although the work seemed very easy, it required a lot of energy. We were so tired after that. The most memorable thing that happened in the paddy field was that I shouted very loud to Tepu' Uloh as I thought I took frog's eggs as I have a phobia of frogs. After that, Tepu' Uloh was laughing at me because it was actually insect eggs! Then, she said that there are rarely any frogs in my paddy field. 

That's also how we taught her the words 'dirty', 'frog' and 'throw'. It was quite fun, especially with the sampan to "play" with.







No comments:

Post a Comment