Sunday 3 August 2014

Genius Kelabit Ladder

Tepu' Ulo is using the ladder to get down.

The ladder that we can see in the video is made by wood. It is very different from the ladder that we normally use at home, which is made by metal. Before this, I though that ladder was only used to allow someone to go higher up. But now, I have changed my mindset as I experienced something new in Bario.


As you can see in the video, Tepu' Uloh not only uses the ladder to go to a higher place, but she also uses to carry the rice from the storehouse to the ground floor. This makes their works easier and more effective because it might hurts her back if she carries that rice, as it is very heavy. The benefits of using a wood ladder is that it can last for a long period of time and it does not cost any amount of money.


I was shocked at first to hear that the rice was kept so high up but now I've found out a special way to take the rice down. I managed to step into the store and see rice everywhere. Even under my feet! Tepu' Ulo told me that the rice has been kept very tightly without any gaps so that mice won't eat it. 

Finally, we brought down the rice from the storehouse!


At first, I tried to stop Tepu' Uloh from throwing the sack of rice down the ladder because I thought that it would burst. I was so surprised when she just threw it down and it was fine. I kept praising her "Do'! do'! (do' means good) Try another one!"

I loved watching and helping her tie and throw the sacks. I don't know how she tied it, but it was so tight that it did not break. 




It was raining heavily after that! 


After that, we dried rice together! Tepu' Uloh told me that when we want to dry rice, we have to be aware of the weather. I still remember that it suddenly rained on the first day of drying rice. We were rushing to pack the rice as to avoid the rice getting wet. Funny thing is that the rice did not get wet, but Tepu' Ulo and I got very wet!
Hahaha!...What a memorable time!

No comments:

Post a Comment