Monday 4 August 2014

My Sinas & Tepuqs

Bario, the wind village, is a wonderful place indeed. Most of the people there really treat us well. Whenever we are walking by the road or going home from work, they will kindly offer us a ride, which makes it more amazing because we also get to sit at the back of the four-wheel drive and savour the cool air in Bario.

What amazed me more about the place, are my sinas and tepuqs. They are all amazing women. They are all so kind to us during our stay in Bario. They are so caring that they even treated us like real grandchildren.

Everytime when we dropped by at each Sina or Tepuq's house, they will feed us and treat us with great hospitality. They treat us so well that most of the time when we are exchanging conversations, they will listen to us attentively and even asked us of how do we think of Bario. 

To start off my journey, I was told by my Project Coordinator that Aunty Nicole (one of the Bario Project Coordinators) will have me under her care. Next morning after the first day reaching Bario, Aunty Nicole and I headed off to the kindergarten where she is working. The kindergarten was near the main church in Bario as well as the primary and secondary school of Bario. Along the way there, she told me about the places in Bario, her work, her family and her life. She is a very perseverant woman.. She is a mother of 3 and lives with her parents.  


Sina Christina & Cherisha

After 2 days later, Sekan, the head Project WHEE! coordinator, had decided to have my friend Jonathan and I to follow another Kelabit woman, Sina Christina. She is a mother of five and a housewife. We were stationed at Aunty Dayang's house (another Bario Project Coordinator), in Arur Dalan every morning. Sina Christina is a fast learner. During the first day we met her, we taught her some words and she was quick in grasping them. Sina Christina's one year old daughter, Cherisha, is a very bubbly girl, she picks the people that she wants to be with. Agan (Daniel, the Project WHEE! coordinator) was assigned to take care of that little girl whenever Jon and I are teaching or cooking with Sina Christina. The two of them slowly became close friends and they were seen walking together and feeding the chickens behind Aunty Dayang's house. It was just adorable to see how close they became. 

Unfortunately, due to some circumstances, Sina Christina had to leave for Miri four days after. Lian (Jonathan) and I were quite sad about it. She was a funny mother and loving person. We really hope that she is doing fine and happy with her family. 

The adorable pair :)

Lian teaching Sina how to fold a flower using tissue paper

Aunty Dayang of Arur Dalan

During my first meeting with Sina' Christina, Lian and I slowly grew closer to Aunty Dayang in the process as well. After having a conversation with her for the first time, I find her very admirable and also respectful. She sews, cook, does bead-work, farming, and is currently working on her new Homestay that is just steps away opposite from her house. Her life stories were another eye-opener lessons for me. "Being tough and not giving in easily when you still can go on." really motivated me to be determined in what I do and what I want to achieve. Not only that, she is also a loving and considerate person. 

After Sina' Christina left, Lian and I were assigned to follow Aunty Dayang for a while. However, during an afternoon when we were with her, Lian suddenly became very sick. She asked Lian to rest and took care of him. When Lian's condition became a bit stable at the time, Jeremy and Agan (Supervisor & Coordinator of Project WHEE!) thought of sending him back to the Homestay that we were staying. Aunty Dayang volunteered to give us a ride back to Bario Asal so that Agan and Jeremy could stay back to supervise our other friends who were stationed in Arur Dalan. We were touched by her affection, seeing how she had taken good care of sick Lian. It was really nice of her.

Aping admiring Aunty Dayang as she cuts pineapples. XD


Cultural Night with Aunty Dayang in her traditional clothes together with Lian



Me, Mariam, Aping (with a Parang) and Aunty Dayang at her pineapple farm





Enthusiastic Aping learning how to cut pineapple
Tepuq Sina Rang


Being sick and throwing up was not fun at all. Tepuq and Rinai had taken good care of me for the entire time, checking on me if I ever ended up sleeping on the floor or table when I'm worned out from my fever. Being observant all the time, Tepuq notices things very quickly and therefore will also ask whether we are feeling alright. As sick buddies, Lian and I were really thankful of Tepuq's caring and observant personality. She would also watch what we ate and made sure that the food were not oily or unsuitable for our condition.

She was an enthusiastic teacher when I helped her out with bead-work or made bracelets for my family as souvenirs. Tepuq even taught me how to make necklaces whenever I finished making a bracelet and that was really kind of her. She would also give some useful feedback on how I could improve in my beading.

Beadwork is fun and healthy! It also enhances creativity!

After spending some time with them, as mothers, all they want from us is to spend time, to communicate more, and care more for them. If we can do that to the things we have (example: technology devices) just because they are expensive, why not value more on the things that are irreplaceable (love & attention), precious (time & age), and will just be given once in our lifetime (parents & names)?

Being given a Kelabit name that is very meaningful to me, I'll cherish it, love it, and be thankful for it because of these people I've met in Bario.

Ruran
Ji Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment