Sunday 2 November 2014

L.O.V.E.

This project aims to help women with their English that will in turn sustain their income through eco-tourism.
It functions on the basis of shadowing your assigned lady and teaching them English for 10 days.

I was blessed to be assigned to Project WHEE!'s homestay host, Tepuq Sinah Rang Lemulun.






When I first met Tepuq, she gave me the warmest hug a grandmother would give to any grandchild who finally came home after years of not coming home... Yes, like a prodigal son.

On that night, I remember her saying to us "I love you all very much!"

It amazes me to hear such words from a grandmother I never knew, but heard very much about. After all, you seldom hear these words when you meet people for the first time.

As I go about with her through her daily activities, I took the opportunity one night to sit with her and just gaze into the sky. I can testify that it is the most therapeutic thing to do at the verandah of her homestay. Here, you will be so captivated by the scenery and the stars that shine.
We chatted for awhile and I decided to ask this longing question inside me.

"Tepuq, kalau ada sesuatu yang Tepuq hendak ajar orang muda hari ini, apakah itu?"
Tepuq, if there's something you have to teach the young people of today, what will that be?

She immediately answered "LOVE!"

It didn't surprise me because the more time I spent with her, the more I saw what she was living out.

As she went on, she shared that with love, everything is simply more amazing.

For example, in Bario, people come in and out of the rumah kadang, also known as the longhouse, bringing their fresh produce and selling them. On a particular day, a fishmonger came with his catch for the day.
Being a lady filled with so much love to those around her, she offered him a cup of coffee and some snacks; after purchasing his entire catch.

It hit me, because living in the city, we always claim we do not have enough time to spend for those around us, what more, reaching out to strangers or people we come across.
Besides, a cup of coffee would not be offered to those we do not know.

With Tepuq, you do not need constant reminders that she loves you. Whatever she does each day, is completely out of love.
She taught me that everything we do must be out of love. From the first time we met, till when we said our temporary goodbyes, she showed so much love towards me and those around her.



Thank you, Tepuq, for teaching me that life is made sweeter with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment