Monday 3 November 2014

Beading Bonding Sessions

In Tepuq Sinah Rang's homestay, there's a handicraft shop located on the first floor. Tepuq beads, and sells her wonderfully handmade products all in the confines of a small room. 

When I was asked to "cucuk manik", bead, I told myself that it's gonna be easy, just be patient and learn. (This was because it was my first time making something for sale, and it has to be nice or decently acceptable, at least in my standards.)

I spent the first week with her sitting down to bead. 








Most of the time, we would bead at her verandah. The view is simply breathtaking. 




It was interesting to see how she works on the traditional Kelabit cap, pata, and patiently align every bead together according to colors and sizes.



It was also fascintating to witness what small colorful beads can turn into, with the skills of the talented Tepuq.

Rhon, one of our project coordinators, named these sessions "Beading Bonding Sessions" because essentially, you bond with the person you bead with. Besides, it is the most therapeutic thing to do. 
Yes, I bonded with Tepuq as she sat next to me while we beaded. Her presence, her skills, her coffee breaks in between, helps me know a little more about her. Also, when my other teammates were free, they joined in to bead with us.

As a generous host, Tepuq gives every guest a "kaboq". 




Kabuk is a traditional Kelabit necklace which comes in different sizes and colors. The buah rantai (middle part of the necklace), varies too. 





The traditional one is in red or yellow, however, our batch received a mix-colored buah rantai. It has a special meaning to it.
She spent few nights, barely getting enough rest, to make them for the 13 of us in Batch 3 of this project. 

There were a couple of times where Tepuq took small chat breaks in between and shared her interesting life story to me, while sipping her favorite beverage, 3-in-1 coffee. I was truly privileged to be her listener and at all times we were both teary-eyed.
She shared with me that since she was born, her life wasn't a bed of roses. She never knew who her father was, how he looked like; through it all, she realized how her life was made meaningful through hardships she faced, and how she's really grateful for many things.

Tepuq, thank you for teaching me to be grateful, to just be contented; to not complain with what I have. You were always thankful for everything that has been given unto you. I've never heard you complain about anything at any point of time. Yes, I am still learning to just be like you in this area of contentment. 

Fun fact: If you're ever wondering whether I was a total klutz in our beading sessions, yes I was. I accidentally spilled a whole container of beads onto the ground. Thankfully, Tepuq wasn't there or I wouldn't have known what her reaction could've been! Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment