Thursday 2 October 2014

Saying Goodbye

First I want to talk about the night before our last day in Bario, because this is something that means a lot to me. Sina Sarina, the woman I was assigned to for the duration of Project WHEE!, asked me to come over for a farewell dinner of sorts. Sina went to the trouble of cooking food with a little extra spice, which is something because chillies are not easy to come by, and made midin again for me. 


Sina's mother, joined us that night and we had dinner while watching a sappy Malay drama on the TV. Afterwards, Tepuq made me hot coffee while the girls, Supang and Mujan, painted my nails with glow in the dark pink polish that I haven't had the heart to remove yet. 

My days with Sina Sarina were spent mainly in the school where she worked. Each morning I would slowly make my way to the local high school, slowly because there was just so much of beauty to take in. My last day in Bario started off with another one of my precious walks, with the huge sawah on either sides of me, still waters reflecting the morning sky, and the mountains covered in mists and the air so fresh and cool. (I'm just going to squeeze in every picture of the sky I took okay)



At SMK Bario, I took some time to say goodbye to the people I've met there. As a university student on a temporary trip, I had no expectations of being treated in any special way. But the folk in SMK Bario did me good. The teachers, who took the time to talk to me and even invite me to their Hari Raya jamuan, and the school workers, who were always good to me and even included me in on their weekly meetings, where they graciously spoke in Bahasa Melayu instead of Kelabit for my benefit. I respect and appreciate those gestures a lot. So I said goodbye... and then joined my Sina and another teacher for tea and delicacies. (I told you guys, I get fed a lot.) 

Hilltop at SMK Bario
At 12 it was back to Sina's home for lunch, where she refused my offers of help and set about making lunch, so I decided to go hang out with Mujan. Mujan got a ton of homework that day, so we colored while waiting. 


Me      : Mujan, ada ke elephant warna orange?
Mujan : Elephant Mujan ada!


When it was time for me to go back, the kids and Sina walked me home. We stopped by Sina's sawah so I could say goodbye to Sina's father, which was also where Sina got four pineapples for me. While walking out of Arur Dalan, holding hands and talking, I took the opportunity to tease Dayang and Supang about their crushes, and then sagely offered some kakak wisdom about focusing on their education. At the longhouse, tears were shed and promises were made, lots of hugs happened. But it's not so bad. 

It's been one week since we came back from Bario. These days I get calls from Ee, Sina's older son and Supang will grab the phone to tell me she misses me. Ee never opens with 'hello', he starts off with 'buat apa kamu?' and Mujan laughs more than she talks on the phone, and Sina will text me 'good morning Lipang' - which is the Kelabit name she gave me.   

I've learned and been granted so much and truly, it has been a privilege, and thank you so much to the gracious people of Bario. From Tepuq Sinah Rang, who hosted us and took such good care of us, to our Bario Asal project coordinator, Aunty Nicole, to everyone who came to send us off at the airport. It's been a great 2 weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment