Thursday 25 September 2014

8 Memories from Bario

1. Aunty Lucy & Aunty Bulan

From the left: my Sina, Aunty Lucy, Aunty Bulan
Aunty Lucy, Aunty Bulan, and my Sina combined are an incredible force of nature. Together, the three of them are capable of making me eat and drink around 3 times, all before 12 p.m. Jokes aside, these women are strong and so hardworking, and they made life at 7 a.m. infinitely easier for me. I remember how Aunty Lucy took my hand in hers when we were walking, and I remember how Aunty Bulan bought a little sausage bread thing that they call 'Doraemon', tore off a small piece and gave the rest to me. And I remember paying for our last meal together at the shop, and Aunty Bulan saying "semoga Tuhan berkati kamu, Ru." 


2. Church


Church was a special experience for me. When I was in high school I used to go hang out at the Christian Fellowship meetings (because, well, they used to serve good food) while waiting for my ride home, so I kind of knew what to expect from the church in Bario. But the intensity and love with which they carried the service out really surprised me and warmed my heart. Seeing the entire community come together to pray and sing songs was something we don't see often. And the songs - the songs, sung by the adults with such vigor and sincerity while girls danced gracefully in their white costumes. We also got the opportunity to sing two songs at our last Sunday in Bario, all in our Project WHEE! t-shirts standing in two rows at the front, and it is a memory I cherish.


3. Popcorn/night huddle

This memory is not so much the popcorn, but of my batchmates. Okay, no, actually I just wanted to share this picture I took of the popcorn.

Popcorn featuring Alicia and Karthik in the background
In all seriousness, memory number three belongs to the nights we went out and stargazed together. Our project coordinator Daniel said that it was like a special thing that we don't need photos of (but I'm writing from memory so he might not have said those things at all) and I agree now. The stars in Bario are so lovely and bright, and it was a special moment with my batchmates, huddling together for warmth and just.. being there.


4. The time the girls gave me a ride back home


This is us with Sina's eldest daughter, Dayang, after she gave me a ride back to the homestay. Little Mujan is right behind her. I really like this picture because Dayang looks like the complete badass she actually is.  


5. Planting Flowers - All Time Low

Before
I planted some flowers with Sina at the school one day. While we dug small holes and pushed the stalks in, Sina told me extremely touching things like "after you're gone, I can only talk to the flowers you planted", so I immediately started worrying and praying that the flowers wouldn't die. And they didn't. 

After (thank God)

Me : What will you say to the flowers?
Sina: You are beautiful! You are so pretty!


6. Prayer Mountain


Oh, Prayer Mountain. Listen, for the not-so-active and not-so-fit such as me, Prayer Mountain was a challenge. At first it was like, yeah! Prayer Mountain! Let's do this! And then some time into the hike it was like you know, do I really need to climb this mountain? It's probably worth it and all but do I? Does anyone??

Ha. Joke. But seriously, it was a struggle. But my batchmates were so understanding and good to me about it. They kept giving me pep talks and assuring me that we were almost at the top. And once we reached the top, it did feel like it was worth it.




7. Periuk kera

The first day I spent with Sina Sarina, we finished our work early. So Sina and I took a walk around school, getting to know each other and the works. She showed me the orchids and then the periuk kera - or, pitcher plant. It's like in the Peninsular, the plants are so special and protected, and then you come to Bario and they're just growing in a high school.



The high school of Bario is a prominent place in my memories because I spent so much time there with its people. This has probably been mentioned to death but the people of Bario are a truly hospitable, friendly folk. From meeting two babies to going uphill for fresh jackfruit, I have many good memories of SMK Bario.


8. Hydrodam

Or, the time we went to bathe at the hydrodam because of water rationing. It is about a 20 minute walk to the dam itself, and the water is freezing cold. There is a huge difference between standing underneath a cold shower, and walking into cold water, and I now know the difference very well. Aunty Nicole's kids Victor, Sigang, and Dom followed us to go bathe every time we went, and it was quite humbling to be shivering neck-deep in the dam while Victor casually takes off his shirt and cannonballs into the water.

Of course, these are only a fraction of the many memories Bario has given me. I will not forget how beautiful the skies in Bario are, I will not forget the many good people I've met and I won't forget the laughs we had and the things we've learned, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment