Friday 18 July 2014

My Work in the Paddy Field


It all started when my lady, Sinah Supang told me that she has a paddy field and she wanted to bring me there on Thursday. I was so excited! Unfortunately, that day I went to her house late and she already went to her paddy field. I did not know where it was so I spent the morning emo-ing until she came back. She decided to bring me to her paddy field after lunch.

The journey to our destination wasn't easy... you have to go up and down, left and right before you reach her paddy fields. The first thing that caught my eye was the square shaped land and brown and green grass in it. The scenery was so beautiful, you can never find this in the city!


 The journey to the paddy field.

The view of the paddy field from resting area (on a hill)

She hired a worker to help her to remove the grass in the paddy field, and that was the first time I saw people cutting grass in real life. I watched him cut so fast and with such ease. I thought it would be an easy job so I asked my sinah if I could join her tomorrow to help. At first, she rejected my offer because she thought that I cannot do it. After my persuasion she finally agreed to let me go down to the paddy field the next day.


The worker cutting the grass in the paddy field

The next day, I was very excited to go to the paddy field. The water in the paddy field seemed shallow so I just jumped into it. But the next moment I regretted what I had done. The actual water level in the paddy field was quite deep. Not only that, all the mud made it difficult to walk but I just bared with it. Then, I started to cut the grass. It went very smooth and well (in my view), but suddenly my sinah stopped me. Then she told me that I didn't really cut off the grass (all the grass was actually still there, just stuck in the water), she then showed me the actual way to remove it (you have to remove the root of the grass) and then I realised it was actually difficult work! 

When I took a break and looked around, I saw my sinah already did 7 times the work of what I have done. I tried my best to catch up to her but the grass just seemed like it hated me so much that they just wanted to be stuck in the soil. I ended up having my first 'mandi kerbau' (mud bath) in the paddy field. 

At the end of the day, my sinah finished almost the whole paddy field while I just did a small part. It was fun and at the same time, I now understand how hard it is to grow rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment