Thursday 16 April 2015

Tuesday With Tepuq

Nuba Laya [noo-ba la-ya]
Food. A main course made of rice wrapped in a leaf called Daun Isip (which is the malay word for leaf, I know.) and then steamed to look very much similar to the Chinese traditional rice dumpling; a staple during my lunches with Tepuq, and something I can never finish alone.

"Makan. Habiskan." (Eat it. Finish it.) Tepuq would always say to me in her sing-song voice. But Tepuq! I would always manja, I don't eat a lot :( I really don't.

My favourite set of dishes: cherry tomatoes + catfish,
with my legs soaking in the paddy field.

Here's a not-so secret: I'm always the last one to finish my food during lunch. Not only that, I also eat very slowly because I tend to get full easily - and Tepuq notices too! Eventually after many days of her observation (and me convincing that her food is really good! + it's just me!), she came to accept that I'm a small eater and lets me give half of my nuba laya to Tok. Yay! I really appreciate little gestures like that, because God knows how seriously people in Bario take their food.

This happened on a slightly gloomy Tuesday with Tepuq.

I'm not sure why I was feeling both sad and stressed out that morning. Heck, finally being able to visit Tepuq's sawah near Bario Asal for the first time was supposed to be an exciting adventure for me, but I couldn't help it and secretly whined about the heat. I forgot to bring my gloves as well; another downer.

The beauty though.

Luckily for me, Tepuq was ever patient and loving. She wasn't fazed by my slight moodiness, and served breakfast by the paddy field as usual. That day, she was more initiative in asking me questions, and practicing pronounciations with me. It always makes me super glad to see an eagerness in learning language - something that keeps me going.

"What is XXX in English?" I especially love it when she asks me things in English itself!

 I taught her the word "picnic".

My mood lightened up soon enough (before noon). Thank goodness.

We ended work later than usual that day as there was more to do, and I'd forgotten my phone so I couldn't keep track of time anyway. Being so used to the fast-paced life here in the city, I relished in the luxury of a timeless atmosphere during my stay in Bario (after taking some time to get used to it); perhaps that is why I love the place so much.

I enjoy Tepuq and Tok's company, the way they'd always bicker (lovingly) about paddy things and how Tok would just give me his best smile like he was amused by Tepuq's words. Maybe he was, I'm not sure, I still don't speak fluent Kelabit, haha.

A couple that took me as their own grandchild, they named me Cathrine - not exactly the most Kelabit name (in fact, it's Christian) but I love it. They had given me their daughter's name.

Interesting fact: Names for new family members are to be chosen from exisitng names in the family. I'm honoured to be part of this Kelabit culture. :)


# Xueh Wei Cathrine #

No comments:

Post a Comment