Wednesday 11 March 2015

Tap... Tap... the Tapioca

One fine morning, I walked over to Tepuq Bulan's residence at 8am. It was the earliest morning I ever started working with tepuq and she greeted me with a cheerful ''Good morning!''. I gave a great smile and wished her ''Good Morning'' too. I had promised to visit her garden, and hence, our journey began.

We walked for only a few hundred meters when I asked, 'ehhh tepuq... are we there yet?'
and Tepuq Bulan replied with a smile, 'ehhh,,, jauh lagi, still very far... I like the morning walk.'

It was a misty and chilly morning, definitely a good for a morning walk with an abundance of fresh air.

The entrance to her garden was located beside the Project Ceria building.

Entrance to her garden

A beautiful walk into her garden
She planted a lot of tapioca in her garden, and hence, today we were going to harvest and collect some tapioca. I recorded a video of how she harvested the tapioca. For my convenience, I uploaded pictures with description, step by step.


Step 1: Chop chop chop the tapioca tree!

Cut the tapioca tree a quarter length from the root.

Step 2: Throw the chopped part aside and dig the ground, until you see some tapioca skin.

Dig softly and carefully to avoid damaging the tapioca.
The dark brown and black-ish spot above the 'sabit' is the tapioca.

Step 3: Use a 'parang' (machete) to chop the tapioca from its root and fork it out from the ground.

Tapioca chopped off from its root.

Step 4: VOILAAA tapioca!

Time to make some tapioca chips!

After collecting a few more tapiocas, we headed to Joe's cafe for a drink, and that was the end of my morning walk with Tepuq Bulan. It was a great morning indeed! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment