Tuesday 24 March 2015

Drowning in Love (and mud!) - Part 1 of 2

I was one of the few lucky participants who got to work with several ladies during my 21-day stay in Bario. One of my assigned ladies was Aunty Mariam, who happened to be new to the project so my self-imposed pressure to make a good first impression was pretty high. Although I was reassured again and again by project coordinators, Rhon & Daniel that Aunty Mariam is a very nice lady, it didn't stop me from being really nervous about meeting her.

When I was first 'presented' to Aunty Mariam, she came up to me and gave me a bear hug. Immediately I knew I was gonna like Aunty Mariam. After Rhon & Daniel left, I followed Aunty Mariam and Dayang (Aunty's neighbour) to collect some 'daun isip' with her. 'Daun isip' is a type of leaf used to wrap 'nuba laya' (wrapped rice). After following aunty around, picking up the cut leaves, she finally trusted me to use the 'parang' to cut some 'daun'. ACHIEVEMENT.UNLOCKED.



Note to self (and future Project WHEE! participants): Cover yourself fully whenever you leave the longhouse. My trip to collect 'daun' was cut short since Aunty Mariam got worried as I kept getting insect bites and was scratched myself till I bled. After collecting 'daun', we had lunch. One of the dishes was snails. Yes, I'm not kidding. Snails. It was delicious by the way. Tama (Aunty Mariam's husband) said eating snails is like practicing French kissing ahaha ;P I must have looked ridiculous because everyone was laughing at me struggling to suck the snail out from the shell.

From right : Aunty Mariam, me and Aunty Mariam's sister :)
My second (and final) day with Aunty Mariam was pretty chill. Aunty, her sister and I sat by the 'tetel' (fireplace), sipped on some hot coffee, and exchanged stories. I found out Aunty Mariam is a cancer survivor (much amaze!), therefore she was hosting a dinner/going away party that night before flying to Miri for a follow up medical check up. She would only return to Bario after I leave. With a heavy heart, I bade farewell to Aunty Mariam at the end of the day and promised her I will come visit her again.

In a twist of fate, Aunty Mariam's flight landed when we were in the departure hall, preparing to leave. It felt like a Bollywood movie scene, as I rushed across the airport, searched for Aunty Mariam in the crowds and fell into her tight embrace (ok fine, I exaggerated). It was a huge relief meeting Aunty Mariam before I left, knowing she is healthy and well after her treatment.

Aunty Mariam's father & I 
To be continued.....




With love,
Thriya Sria Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment