Friday 2 October 2015

What Does Rice Mean to You?

Unprocessed Bario Rice

Rice, an ubiquitous feature within our Asian diets and arguably the most glaring symbol of our unique culture. The vegetable porridge reminiscent of our toddler days, the RM1 packets of Nasi Lemak hastily gobbled down during primary school lunch times, the late night Nasi Kandar sessions with our close friends in high school and finally, the treasured rice cooker we desperately try to fit into our bursting luggage bags as we depart for university; the very essence of our identity as Asians, specifically Malaysians, is marked by our lifelong love story with rice. Yet, how much do we know about the hard work that goes into each grain of rice on our plates? How much do we revere the farmers that ensure an abundant supply of rice each year? How hard do we strive to not waste a single grain of rice? Honestly, not enough.

Beautiful paddy fields along the way to Arur Dalan
Lush paddy fields

Another shot taken along the path to Arur Dalan
Empty fields waiting to be planted

The Japanese have the sayings of "Itadakimasu" and "Motainai" that loosely translate into "thank you for the food I am receiving" and "do not waste". Both phrases are often used within Japanese culture and reflect their culture of humility and appreciation. Conversely, back in Malaysia, we often lack awareness of our wasteful habits due to the lack of understanding of the sweat and effort put into producing the food we consume. On our way home to our hometowns during the festive season we may see miles and miles of paddy fields, some even with farmers planting or harvesting their crops but without the firsthand experience of life as a farmer, I am sure none of us truly know how to appreciate the role of farmers within society and express gratitude for the pile of soft, fragrant rice on our plates each day.


Sina winnowing the rice


All that changed in Bario. From being a typical "puteri lilin" who detested the sun, I had to work for hours under the sun each day, repeatedly bending down to uproot paddy stalks from the nursery and planting them in the paddy fields. I admit that I wasn't the best worker, often stopping for water breaks and taking extra long lunch breaks with the Sina I was attached to but I would still go back tired and sore after a day at the paddy field. Some of my batch mates even fell sick due to overworking themselves, many got sunburnt and came back quite a few shades darker than before. It wasn't easy, it really wasn't but I am sure we really started to appreciate the rice on our plates so much more after this.
Machinery to remove the husks from rice

For those who are unaware, there are typically three steps in the production of rice, namely harvesting, clearing the fields and planting. In Bario, there is only one planting season, which typically begins in July and lasts till September. Thus, most of the local ladies are typically very busy during this season, working in the paddy fields from dawn to dusk. Personally, I managed to experience weeding the fields with my Sina as well as the actual planting process. Thorough weeding is essential to ensure that the weeds do not compete with the paddy for nutrients but it was truly back breaking work having to repeatedly bend over to pluck stray weeds. Once the fields are cleared then it is time for the actual uprooting and planting to be carried out. Paddy seedlings are usually uprooted from the nurseries and replanted in the vast paddy fields but spaced more widely apart. This is to ensure adequate space for the paddy to grow before finally being harvested in January.



Planting paddy!
I remember my mother used to frighten with me her theory that if I didn't finish the food on my plate, I would be born into abject poverty and starve in my next life. It worked and I rarely ever wasted even a grain of rice. I was taught to be grateful that my parents could afford to put food on my table, I was taught to appreciate my parents' effort in raising me; I still do but after having lived the life of a rice farmer, each time I sit down before a plate of warm rice, I am deeply humbled by the hard work of each and every farmer who has endured the sun and rain to maintain the supply of rice in our country. Thank you Bario, for teaching me to appreciate something such an essential part of our identity yet something which we often take for granted.

Now, what does rice mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment