Tuesday 14 July 2015

How to be...Happy :)

Bario is my happy place. There were genuinely so many things to be glad about in Bario. It just made me think, who needs the latest iPhone model anyway? Here’s a list of things that made me (and maybe my friends too) happy.

Happy people :) No, they're not twins. 

1.       When there’s Vico/Milo to drink in the morning. (It’s a luxury)
2.       When my friend Nithya rolled down the small hill behind SMK (the secondary school). It was hilarious!

Nithya lying on the grass before rolling down the hill.
3.       When it’s a sunny day and all our laundry managed to dry!
4.       When we managed to hitchhike back to the Bario Asal longhouse. (Thanks Nithya!)
My batchmates getting a ride on the back of Tepuq Sinah Rang's 4WD.
5.       When Uncle Julian decided to give us a ride to and fro the hydro dam.
6.     When my tepuq boiled hot water for me to shower with. It was the only time I conditioned my hair in Bario.
7.       When we managed to pick a big bag of vegetables from the jungle.
8.       When we conquered Prayer Mountain!
On top of Prayer Mountain.
9.       When it was the weekend and we sat and did nothing for the whole day.
10.   When the SK (primary school) and SMK teaching sessions went well.
11.   When it didn’t rain while we were drying the paddy.
12.   When the tepuqs told us inappropriate jokes.
13.   When I managed to catch 20 fish for the first time, on my own (my tepuq had to leave me alone to do some chores).
14.   When I could finally differentiate between vegetable species after a while.
15.   When we danced in the middle of the road before going to the airport.
16.   When Wai Leong (Apoi) did the traditional Kelabit dance. He’s gifted!
Wai Leong (Apoi) rocking his Kelabit headgear. (Third from the left)
17.   When my friend Hooi Ju had a chance to go into the paddy field and got muddy for the first time. That smile on her face was so priceless, it made me really happy.  
Tepuq Ulo teaching Hooi Ju to fish after she went into the paddy field.
18.   Having fried chicken wings!
19.   When the marshmallows were roasted perfectly. And dipped in chocolate. Mmmm.
20.   When we surprised Nithya with a Bario birthday cake on her birthday!
Bario birthday cake.
21.   When our tepuqs learned a new word!
22.   When we were told that we have beautiful voices after singing in church.
23.   Coming up with dance steps to Jai-Ho with my batch mates!
24.   Seeing a rainbow <3
Rainbow! 


25.   PINEAPPLES.


Pineapple ceremony.
(From the left) Nithya, Tepuq Ulo, Tepuq Ribed, K Rou and me
The list goes on. In my opinion, the secret to happiness is to be appreciative and thankful of the little things.
That is the biggest lesson I brought back from Bario.

Love,
Pei Chi

No comments:

Post a Comment