Wednesday 21 October 2015

Two Weeks Without Internet

If you play Clash of Clans on your smartphone, you will realise how much time and effort that goes into building your perfect clan fortress. An internet connection is a total necessity to make sure you collect those monies from your Gold and Elixir collector (Clash of Clans players, you know what I mean).

Now when I was in Bario for Project WHEE!, Internet connection is one thing you will not have. It is not a choice. When you realise you are without an Internet connection, you realise that your smartphone is practically useless aside from your Notepad app and Clock app.

So, before going to Bario I set my expectation to knowing that I will be without my frequent WhatsApp group chats or posting of Instagram photos. What I began to learn after setting aside my ever-realible smartphone, was one experience I never regret.

To be detached from something you come to be attached to isn't an easy thing to do, however in my opinion, necessary to learn to do so.

Normally, in the morning I would wake up to the sound of my smartphone's alarm going off. The next thing that I am sure most of us do either consciously or subconsciously is to go on our usual social media platform. Immediately switching ON to information that we missed out during your 8 hours of sleep, and switching OFF to realise what is really around you.

When in Bario, when I did not have an Internet connection, my first instinct in the morning was to get dressed and immediately look for the fireplace. On other days, we got together to gaze at the stars at night.

For two weeks, day in and day out, I came to learn that our definition of staying 'connected' has very much changed for what it truly means. We have come to be more disconnected to the people around us, even when we think that what we are trying to do is staying connected.

We live in a hyper-connected world, where the demand for information is crucial. We rarely give any opportunity or pardon for delays, as this is deemed as inefficient and limitation to economic growth. What I am saying is not a plea to everyone to stop using their smartphones or even shut down the Internet in order to stay more connected to one another. My wish is for us to realise that there is so much more to life than just learning how to make a fire from a YouTube video, or learning about another person's culture through a book.

Go out there and be vulnerable. Let your survival instincts tell you what to do.


Here are some pictures that captures how some people from Bario choose to use their cell phones:

Apui and his sister excited to be playing with Annamarie (bach mate)'s phone

A picture I secretly snapped from a father of four children. A simple digital art work of the names of his wife and four children.

No comments:

Post a Comment