Friday 16 October 2015

Love for Bario

Bario, the “Land of a Thousand Handshakes” or "Land of Wind", was an amazing place to visit. I am grateful for this opportunity thanks to Project WHEE!. The journey to Bario started with a 45 minute flight via a MASWings Twin Otter plane from Miri. This adorably tiny plane had free seating and great view of the scenery along the journey and a direct view of the cockpit and the friendly pilots.



When we landed, I was shocked at the size of the airport. I entered, collected my bag and within 10 steps and I was already out the door.

The Bario Airport
Departure (Right Door) and Arrival (Left Door)

Standing at the back of the 4 wheel drive heading to the longhouse, gave me a good experience of the real Bario weather. For most tourists, this is a good chance to get a tan but for me as an Indian, it felt more like a sunburn than a suntan.

Ride to the longhouse
Despite the scorching sun in the afternoons, you fall in love with the cold nights. The best thing about the night in Bario is that, you can stargaze and get to warm yourself by the fireplace called "tetel". It was an interesting experience as even electricity there had a curfew which was at 10pm. Not forgetting, the famous hornbill, Turo.
Tetel
Bario Hornbill "Turo"
It was a beautiful sight of greenery, miles of paddy fields and virgin mountains. With limited internet connection, we had more conversations with those around us; we learned to appreciate nature and its beauty.


Bario pineapples are divine. You will never understand that statement until you get your hands on them. There is nothing like it anywhere else in Malaysia. Truly an experience for your taste buds. Bario pineapples have ruined any other pineapples for me, I could not part with them hence I decided to bring home 8kg of pineapple to spread the love of this beautiful fruit at home.


Just as how the Bario pineapple captures your taste buds, the people of Bario steal your heart. The local people are true gems, I have never felt more comfortable in a foreign place. Every stranger offers a warm smile and every acquaintance gave me a memory to cherish. One of the moments that is close to my heart is about Tepuq Ribed. The night before my departure, Tepuq Ribed approached me in the longhouse with her ever loving sweet smile and gave me 2kg of authentic Bario rice. Although it was planting season and what little rice they have left comes from their reserves, she still gifted and hugged me and said “ Everyone had gotten their rice from their Tepuq and you did not, so here is something small from me to you.” I hugged her back and shed tears as I was touched by her kind gesture. I will forever hold this memory dearly in my heart. I never thought that in such a short stay, I would have forged such strong bonds with the people of Bario.

Tepuq Ribed's Nuba Laya Demonstration (cooked rice wrapped in Isip leaves)
If I were given an opportunity to return, I would accept it in a heartbeat. I believe that everyone who had the opportunity to experience Bario under Project WHEE! had some part of them opened up as how it opened my heart. I will always miss Bario for the amazing people, beautiful paddy fields and every strongly standing mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment