Thursday 8 October 2015

Prayer Mountain

Every mountain in Bario has its own story,

I got the opportunity to hike the famous Prayer Mountain in Arur Dalan. Sina Sarina was our community guide for Prayer Mountain. In my short stay, I hiked Prayer Mountain three times and each hike taught me something new.


We left our homestay, Sinah Rang Homestay at about 7.30am and started our ascent to Arur Dalan. One of my favourite things about Bario is the walk to Arur Dalan in the morning. I can’t describe the feeling, it is something you have to experience for yourself. It is difficult to explain the smell of the forest and the brisk morning air. Every time I go for a walk anywhere in Bario, it makes me fall in love with the place all over again.

Path to Arur Dalan

Testing Tourists: Kylie, Jia Qi and Hliang

During the hike, I came across many flora and fauna that I had never seen growing up in the city. If you are lucky like me, you get the chance to see hornbills flying overhead.

Wild Orchid
Pitcher Plant

Nuts that are used to feed the pigs

Some cool insect

Edible wild raspberry

My Sina’s favourite word throughout my stay in Bario: LEECH! Yes, you read it right. Every single day doesn't go by without her jokes about leech ever since she knew what it is in English. We were fortunate enough as Sina was always attentive over us. As soon as she saw a leech on our shoes, she would grab and flick it so casually before we get the chance to wake the jungle up with our screams.

Fearless Sina Sarina

Nearing the peak, there is a small hut that which is the church of Prayer Mountain. It was said that many years ago, the locals in Arur Dalan hiked up by just using farming tools while carrying their children in woven baskets every Saturday to pray.

Prayer Mountain Church 
Kylie, Jia Qi, Sina Sarina, Supang and Me

At the peak, all blood, sweats and tears shed along the hike felt were nothing compared to the site we beheld. The view is breath taking early in the morning with a sea of mist with islands of mountain peaks poking through the clouds. 




View of Bario Asal

If you are ever in Bario, never say no to a hike up Prayer Mountain. It is truly an experience to be had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment