Thursday 25 September 2014

The Story of Us.

Us. 
Do you believe in fate? How amazing it is for you to meet someone for the first time and yet feel a sense of familiarity with the individual? There is just a comfortable feeling, the feeling as if you have met the person before but you just do not know where.

Well, that was how I felt the first time I met Nenek Ros. When we were first introduced to our ladies which we were going to be partnering with for the next 16 days, Nenek and me just started talking and it was nice because Nenek reminded me of my own grandmother. Nenek calls me Kijan, after her daughter.

The path leading up to Nenek Ros' sweet home.

This is where Nenek Ros lives. Every morning I will head over to her house, which is 10 minutes from the longhouse I lived in to teach and learn with Nenek.

"Nenek, oh Nek, Kijan datang!" 
"Oh ya, nak" 

Nenek will then come to the window and smile gently, watching me walking up the stairs to the house. Nenek and me do household chores together, and while we do it, we will be singing too. Nenek has a very sweet voice, and we will sing the songs that we learnt in church. I have to admit, the only time I sing is in the showers, but I was singing my lungs out with Nenek. It was like our very own private karaoke session.

Nenek and my favourite song from church.
Nenek and I learn to exchange greetings in English and Bahasa Kelabit. Nenek would laugh shyly as we repeat terms like "Good Morning" and "Good Afternoon" after each other.

"Good morning Nenek!!"
"Good morning, Kijan!"

I had trouble saying and remembering "Betapi Leketang" (Good Morning) but Nenek would teach me patiently and she would say,

"Asalkan Kijan cuba, sudah baik"

Sometimes, we would both burst into laughter without any reason. But I just find it so cute and when Nenek smiles, it just makes me smile too.

After doing housework, Nenek and me would both have tea. We would sit down and stare out quietly, just enjoying the company of each other.

Nenek would tell me the stories of her youth, while I share with her about the stories of my childhood.

I am very blessed to have bonding moments like this with Nenek. I have learnt so much from Nenek, and there is still much more for me to learn each day from my dear Nenek.

"You can't be the best at everything. You might not even be the best at anything. But, one can always be your best self. And that is enough."

This is one of the most important things that I have learnt from Nenek Ros.
 Terima Kasih Nenek. 

Signing off, 
YeeWan.

No comments:

Post a Comment