Tuesday 23 September 2014

Rumah jahat tak apa, asalkan hati baik

I am going to be completely honest with you.

When I first signed up for Project WHEE, I never imagined that this experience could teach me so much and affect me in ways that I cannot explain.  The task was simple: go to Bario, teach a woman assigned to you English 5 days a week, and 'make a difference', no? No.

Catherine Erip Tungang, fondly known as 'e e', outside her house


First, let me introduce somebody to you. A mother to 5 children, a grandmother to one, a certified Penan medicine practitioner, a professional basket/bracelet/mat/bag weaver, and a truly inspiring figure: Catherine Erip Tungang. 

I will never forget the day I met her. It was a sunny day, and Daniel (our project coordinator) walked me to meet Aunty Catherine, the lady I was assigned to teach at her house near the Arur Dalan village. Oh, I was one nervous wreck; questions of all sorts bounced like ping pong balls in my head. The moment she stepped out of her kitchen, all worries went out the window. There she was, with a smile so bright it could light up a dark room.

The both of us, we jumped into the teaching routine pretty early on. 'E e' (mother in Penan) was so enthusiastic and eager to learn English, and she was so open to new ideas and new suggestions. Normally, she was the one who would initiate a conversation with me in English. Fast forward to the last few days of our time together, and she was able to say sentences like "climb slowly because steep" (she conducts tours up Prayer Mountain in Bario). The feeling of hearing those words was indescribable; that I have somewhat to a certain extent achieved what I went there to do, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel like what 'e e' has taught me holds much more value than anything I could ever offer her.

If we talk about materialistic possessions, she really does not have much, but what she does have in abundance, is a heart of pure gold and generosity that transcends scarcity. She did not only teach me how to weave and cook Penan food, but she also further reinforced my beliefs that money does not equate to happiness, and happiness is not defined by the number of cars you have or the size of your house. She is the true example of being content and making the most out of what you have.

1) Various types of Penan food (From top right clockwise: a dessert made from tapioca, timun, sigo, midin)
2) Some of the traditional Penan medicine
3) Craft work weaved and designed by e e
4) A type of weaving style known as 'lipan'- centipede in English
The craft work made by her is one of the few sources of income of her family. Besides weaving, going to Bible class at night and caring for her family, she has many other responsibilities in the community that needs to be carried out. Her knowledge of traditional Penan medicine is fascinating. I remember taking a walk with her in the forest one day, and she was just nonchalantly (and continuously) pointing out plants that could be used to cure various illnesses. Often times, I wonder how she manages to juggle so many responsibilities, and yet manages to find the initiative to learn English.

She used to tell me: "rumah jahat tak apa, asalkan hati baik" (it doesn't matter if the house is bad, as long as the heart is good). Although her house does not have electricity, perhaps it is her contagious personality, strength and courage that have the power to light up the dark nights in Bario.

E e and her family. From left to right: Julie Chan, Yohannes, E e, Amam, Jenny, me and Isabel

When I have children, I will teach them what she taught me; that it doesn't matter if they don't have a big house to live in as long as they have a good heart, and that they themselves define their own happiness, on their own terms.

Rachel Khoo

No comments:

Post a Comment