Wednesday 24 September 2014

Thanks for the memoWHEEs!

"But most importantly, try to surround yourself with people you like and make cool stuff with them. In the end (at least in my experience), what you do isn't going to be nearly as interesting or important as who you do it with."  - John Green

Without downplaying the importance of this project, I think there is so much powerful truth in the quote above. So here's to all my batch mates, because really, you deserve a blog post.


Sixteen days... There are some moments in my life that I won't ever forget and within the sixteen days, I had many of those moments; walking to Joe's Cafe for ais kacang, playing ball in the sawah (paddy field), rolling down a hill, cleaning out the hydro-dam, last minute practice before performing at church, actually performing at church, staying in an actual longhouse, freaking out about not having enough clothes to wear, conversations around the tetel (fireplace), failing at dancing, and so much more.

I think to some extent, when friends start talking a bit (inside joke here) like each other, you can consider that to be a friendship level up. And the next friendship level up comes with the increase of inside jokes, like, "Hey, remember that time we almost burnt down a longhouse?!" (Don't worry, we did not burn anything down) 

Anyway, on a somewhat more serious note, I also truly appreciated all of our meaningful and also, meaningless conversations. This made me realise the importance of knowing the fine line between work and play - work when it's time to work and play when it's time to play. 


Of course, the rules of this fine line are not stringent, which leads me to my next point: attitude matters. This applies to literally everyone. In the context of working in and as a group, this becomes significantly more important - your attitude can greatly influence someone else's attitude.

And so here's my last point and also, probably the most important life lesson that has been so strongly reinforced for me - and this is that people matter.


To my batch mates (and two project coordinators) : 

Thank you so much for being such amazing people. The memories that we have shared, I will forever cherish. On my canvas of life, there's a picture of a bunch of people who are a bit crazy quite ambitiously "winging it" climbing up a super steep hill.  Interwoven with inside jokes, I'm so infinitely thankful for this picture on my canvas of life.

Allow me to end this with another quote by John Green, "What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to be remarkable?"

Kan Wai Min aka Lian

No comments:

Post a Comment