Friday 3 March 2017

Skies of Bario

Growing up in a city like Kuala Lumpur and pursuing my higher education at Sydney, I've always been in a fast-paced environment. Everything and everyday passed by so quickly that I do not even have the time to stop and think. It was like I am constantly on auto pilot mode.

Hence, I made the decision to participate in WHEE's Bario: Growing Food, Sustaining Culture volunteering program in Bario for 10 days. I wanted a change and to experience the lifestyles of the Kelabits and to understand their ways of living. Furthermore, this would be my first time flying to Sarawak.

                                                    Tepuq Do Ayu (Photo credit: WHEE) 

Participants were paired with a farmer, or as we fondly address them, Tepuq (a Kelabit term to address the elders). Mine was Tepuq Do Ayu. I had to walk a good 15 minutes to her home in Arur Dalan Village. I was fully prepared with my boots, hat, sunblock and gloves. I still remembered how she laughed at me when I wore 2 layers of socks while she was barefoot in the paddy field, what a joke.

The first day was tiring and intense for me. We started at 8am under the scorching hot sun and I remembered being really restless and anxious about the time, all I could think of was ' Am I done yet?'. But since both of us did not have a watch, the only 'watch' we had was the sun. I found myself searching for the 12pm sun very often.

As the days went by, I tried to understand my Tepuq's lifestyle. I noticed how carefree and contented she was with her life. She was always ready to harvest rice despite rain or shine, she is a hardworking farmer indeed. I started to stop my thoughts and immerse myself with the current situation. I slowly realised how quiet and peaceful the environment was. I did not even notice that her paddy field was only surrounded by mountains, what a beautiful sight it was. Slowly I learned to appreciate the silence with her, it made me feel very calm and the only distraction for us was the noise of her chickens/dogs.



I still looked up very often, but this time not to search for the 12pm sun; it was to admire the skies of Bario. It was something about the skies there that made me feel tranquil. Maybe it was the clouds, or maybe it was God overlooking the village from above. During break time, I would look up to Prayer Mountain from the paddy fields and I would pray a small prayer for my Tepuq as well. That 15 minutes walk to her village was a morning joy for me too.

On the last day, I gave a new pair of socks to my Tepuq, her face beamed with joy. I never once thought that a simple pair of socks made someone feel so special and happy. In return, she gave me 2 large pineapples, a bag of Bario rice, pineapple jam and a beautiful necklace handmade by her. I was speechless, she treated me like her daughter and she will always have a special place in my heart.

                                        
                                           Giving my Tepuq new pair of socks (Photo credit: WHEE) 

I thank WHEE for this opportunity, I feel very lucky to be able to experience this journey with Tepuq Do Ayu. Despite coming back to the hustle and bustle city life, I've learn to appreciate the little things and the people around me. I've learn to stop and admire the skies more often as it brings back good memories that I've once had at this place. Till next time, Bario.

No comments:

Post a Comment