Tuesday 28 February 2017

My Rural Trail

My rural trail started from Kampong Speu (Cambodia), and through to Dulan (Taiwan), Jerantut (Pahang), and Bario (Sarawak) up until now. This trail may have been by chance or could have also been actually scripted. Geographically, these places are far from each other. Yet, as I travel and gain new experiences, I keep noticing some similar relationships among these places. This is very interesting and I am always amazed with every trip I embark upon.

Bario, being another rural area in my trail, was a unique experience. This unique feeling can only be experienced when you participate and interact with the locals mentally and physically. One of my friends asked me, ‘Is there any difference between Bario and other rural areas?’ 

Yes, they are different. However, certain aspects of their lifestyles are similar. For instance, agriculture is extremely important for the residents in all these rural areas to sustain their lives.

Out of the four rural areas I have visited, Dulan and Bario are well known for their indigenous cultures. Interestingly, the Amis in Dulan and Kelabits in Bario share some of similarities. For example, their traditional attires are similar. Both wear plain black shirts decorated with colourful beads and necklaces. Regardless of whether both ethnicities are actually related or this similarity may just be coincidental, this is still an interesting brand new discovery for me.

Tepuqs in the traditional Kelabit attire during Cultural Night in Bario Asal
Another characteristic the people in these rural areas share is their simplicity and peacefulness. This is a significant reason why I love Bario so much. The locals were friendly to us; it was nice to be always greeted by the local Kelabits.

My assigned farmer, Tepuq Lun Anid lives next door to our homestay (Tepuq Sinah Rang’s Homestay). This was a benefit for me as I could spend more time with her family, something I really enjoyed. They accepted me like one of their family members and this feeling of inclusiveness in their family was priceless. 

Tepuq always introduced me as her ‘cucu’ (grandchild) to others and addressed me with my Kelabit name, Supang, when we met people on the way to her paddy field in the morning. There was also one Sunday morning before attending church service, Tepuq passed a Kelabit necklace to me and asked me to wear it to the church. When I saw everyone of their family had one on their neck, I felt really touched and grateful.

Tepuq Lun Anid’s family and I
Interacting with the locals and especially with Tepuq reminded me of my times in Jerantut when my group mate and I were in a focus group discussion and interview session with the locals. That experience actually improved my language and communication skills, and this was a great advantage for me when I was conducting my data collection task under the Growing Food, Sustaining Culture project in Bario. 

Somebody once said, 'For every step you take, some traces will remain,' Reflecting upon my accumulated experiences, I realise the truth of that statement, seeing how every trip and experience counts. 

Undoubtedly, I will continue with my rural trail as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment