Monday 6 April 2015

On the Back of the 4WD

Before leaving to Bario, I heard so much about sitting on the back of the 4WD (Four Wheel Drive) from many of the alumni and the coordinators.

"It's a really nice experience! You get to feel the wind rushing through your hair!"
"The scenery in Bario is best enjoyed when you are riding on the back of a 4WD!"
"Remember to sit on the back of the 4WD when you are in Bario!"

When we landed in Bario, we were picked up by Uncle Julian, our home-stay host (Tepuq Sina Rang)'s son. He fetched us from the airport back to the homestay. I was excited when I saw him loading our luggage onto the back of the 4WD. Will this be my first ride on the back of the 4WD? I wondered excitedly.

Unfortunately, after loading our luggage, there was very limited space for all of us to stand at the back. So, I sat inside the car instead while my other batch members sat behind.

Xueh Wei, Thriya and Parthiban had the opportunity to ride behind the 4WD after we landed in Bario.
To be honest, the view I saw out of the window of the 4WD didn't exactly blow me away. Maybe it was because the view was obstructed by the car frame, or maybe the lack of wind in my hair greatly diminished the 'wow' factor. In short, my first ride on the 4WD was disappointing.

Houses we saw on the way to the home-stay

The living quarters of the Bario clinic
Two of our batch mates, Dev and Shu Anne, arrived a day later. We went to the airport with Uncle Julian to pick them up. This time, I finally had the chance to ride on the back of the 4WD. Boy, it was such a good experience! Take this from me, the view of Bario is really best enjoyed when riding on the back of the 4WD. You get to see how the mountains envelop the settlement, how the seemingly endless cemented road keeps extending as you move along, the golden plots of paddy field ready to be harvested, the clouds floating ever so lightly in the light blue sky. It was picture perfect. That was when I fell in love with Bario.


Golden paddy fields ready for harvesting
MASwings in the sky

Those who have visited Bario before will agree that the locals are very friendly, warm and hospitable. For me, the occasions where I had the chance to witness these characteristics were the 4WD rides.

One Saturday morning, when we were walking to the town centre for Tamu Riah, something similar to a morning market, a 4WD pulled up next to us and we were offered a ride without much hesitation.

On the way to Tamu Riah
Another morning, when I walked with Shu Anne to our assigned ladies' houses, which was in another village called Arur Dalan, a local man also offered us a ride to their longhouse. That is how friendly the locals are, offering outsiders rides on their 4WD so easily.

The muddy road to Arur Dalan
It is a pity that nowadays, city dwellers are less friendly and warm compared to rural folks. I opine that this is due to evolution.

The pace of life in cities is rapid. Most of us are rushing. Rushing to finish education, rushing to complete a professional paper, rushing to get married, rushing to earn a million dollars, rushing to climb the social ladder, rushing...  The city is a jungle and those inhabiting it will have to obey the laws of the jungle.

In such a competitive situation, it is no wonder that many city dwellers are focused on working towards their aim and have stopped to smell the roses. We evolve, gradually losing warmth and friendliness along this rat race.

However, I also believe this is not the only reason why offering help to strangers is not a common sight in the cities, especially Kuala Lumpur. It is no secret that Malaysia's capital city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Even if there are people who have the heart to lend a helping hand to a stranger, they may think twice because of the possible crime risks. The stranger may turn out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing, ready to rob, kidnap, or cheat his saviour. 

View captured in Arur Dalan. I had the privilege of enjoying views like these every day for three weeks.
Selfie taken during our ride offered by the local man
On a lighter note: Now that I have been to Bario, would I recommend you to sit on the back of a 4WD when you pay a visit to Bario? A hundred times yes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment