Monday 6 April 2015

I Heart Tepuq!


Tepuq Sinah Rang & I 
The first lady I was assigned to was Tepuq Sinah Rang, our home-stay host. I considered myself lucky to work with Tepuq Sinah Rang because she is one of the most genuine person I met in Bario. She has a BIG heart and she looked after us like her own 'cucu' (grandchildren). Tepuq and I clicked almost instantly and because I was spending a lot of time with her, I developed a special bond with Tepuq Sinah Rang. <3 On days I was not sent to 'sawah' (paddy field), Tepuq and I would stay indoors and bead. At the end of our trip, Tepuq presented each of us a 'kaboq' that she made herself.
The 'kaboq' each one of us in Batch 5 received
Before leaving to Bario, Rhon and Daniel were speaking of the long term effects we would have on our tepuqs. They were telling us to not be discouraged when we do not see the fruits of our labour when we teach our tepuqs English. I did not fully understand this until Renai (Kim from Batch 1) called Tepuq Sina Rang one day. I listened to tepuq speaking almost fluent English and it got me thinking how far tepuq must have come from where she started. At that moment I realised we do leave a mark in our tepuqs' lives although we may not be able to see it.

I'm not good at goodbyes, and saying goodbye to Tepuq Sina Rang was really difficult. I got very attached to her. I remember tepuq received a new smartphone as a gift and she used the sound recorder to record our conversations. She would play it again and again and laugh out loud (literally). I loved it whenever she called us 'puq ayam' (my darling) and I loved how she whispered 'I love you' into my ear every time I gave her a hug and I loved how her hugs felt like coming home. I loved how she insisted I sit and rest instead of following her everywhere. I loved listening to her stories during breakfast and dinner. I loved how we danced together during our banana leaf night and again on cultural night. I loved every moment spent with Tepuq Sinah Rang.



Till we meet again Tepuq. Uih buloh iko <3

Thriya Sria Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment