Monday 9 March 2015

BARIO, a hidden gem in Sarawak

Before I applied for Project WHEE!, I had no idea where in the world is Bario located, and how does Bario look like.

After I got accepted for Batch 5 of Project WHEE!, I STILL had no idea where Bario is. But now that I have a purpose, I started to Google Bario. Well, as usual, you get Wikipedia to help you understand where and what Bario is, with very basic information.

Just few days before departing to Bario, I had training with my batch mates. From there, I talked to the coordinators and asked how Bario was like. I cannot remember how they described it word-by-word. Basically, just picture yourself in a place with paddy fields, mountains, blue skies, clear cloud, a lot of greens, longhouses and more greens. Now that I had a 'clearer' picture of Bario, I was really excited to experience and be at the place.
To flyyyyy to Bario, unfortunately, there is no direct flight. Usually, the cheapest way to get there would be KL-Miri by AirAsia (yes, everyone can fly). Then take MASwings for Miri-Bario. This was my first time ever hearing of MASwings. The amazing part about MASwings is that, you get a really close view of what the pilots are doing, especially when departing and landing.

The cute and mini plane that you take to Bario. MASwings.
Close up view of PILOTs in action.

When I finally landed in Bario, I was surprised by the size of the airport. The airport serves its purpose very well in a limited space.

Then, the moment I came out from the plane, the amount of AIR that you first inhale, you would feel like you are 18 years old once again. The air is so fresh that it makes you feel younger and more energetic. And earlier on, as described by the coordinators, the paddy fields, mountains, blue skies, clear clouds, a lot of greens, longhouses and more greens, now I really do have a CLEAR picture of Bario. I won't be posting too many pictures, you are supposed to go there and experience it all.


Paddy field.

Mountain and greens.

Bamboo.

Computer desktop wallpaper.

After spending three weeks here for Project WHEE!, I tell myself this is the place that I will always come back, for the community and for the environment. It is one of the perfect getaways from the busy KL lifestyle and all the problems you have from home. Because, the only way people can contact you, is only through Celcom. And other telecom providers do not work here.

So if I were to describe Bario, I would say lots of green - fresh air - quiet - rehab - longhouse - blue sky - clear clouds - chilly - Kelabit - BM - basic English - friendly community - more greens - nature.

Now, do you have a 'clear' picture of Bario?

No comments:

Post a Comment