Wednesday 16 July 2014

Voices For Our Voyage

A long time ago, I used to sing in choir in school and was also an active member of the Kuala Lumpur Children's Choir. Over the years of my participation, I sang many songs of many genres and languages; of course I had my favourites. Often times, these were songs written by people who wrote with their hearts and always had messages and morals to learn from them. Lyrics of the songs I remembered most told stories and were anecdotes on their own. 

You see, at the time, when you're caught up with learning the technicalities of the song and you're too busy trying to memorise those lyrics, you don't necessarily internalise these things. It is not only after all that is over, you start to understand the tacit messages these songs tell you. Until today, I find myself running these songs through my memories, especially during times I felt most alone. A lot of what I know about cultures and beliefs around the world comes from the knowledge of what I learned in songs through choir. 

Nowadays, things have changed, I have changed. I try to pay closer attention to all that before the technicals anyway. Our voices have been such an important tool even before we arrived in Bario. We sang for our fundraisers, we sang for fellowship. Throughout our trip, there were too many times we used only but our songs to entertain, teach, learn, and love. Most importantly, best stories are told when you have a certain openness, vulnerability and honesty to yourself. Singing has that effect on people.

That's how I learned a lot about the Kelabits too - through their songs. I would say one of best bonding times with Tepu' Sina Rang was through singing with her. She loves singing and is gifted with a good voice, all of which she devotes to God. Tepu' taught me a couple of worship pieces in Kelabit and Malay - really the first time hearing any worship songs in those languages. Did I understand Kelabit? Perhaps a few words, but really, we needn't understand the lyrics, it is in the expression and emotion that comes with the song speaks for itself.

Most of the songs that the Kelabits sing and listen to are mainly devotional Christian pop/rock songs. They come in an array of languages really, from English, Malay, Indonesian to Kelabit. That on it's own tell you a lot about their love for their heavenly father. It was an experience and privilege to have had that experience.

Memories of my experiences almost come attached to the songs I remember them with. To me, when I sing or recall a song, the memory is just powerful enough for me to remember vividly the sight, the sound, the smell and the feelings I had at the moment:

I remember, 
the smell of Bario salt salted popcorn by the fireplace,
while massaging Tepu's feet,
when the tune of the Kelabit song she taught me. 

I remember, 
the sight of the mist lifting over Bario when the sun rose at the break of dawn,
the sounds of the crickets,
 the morning dew on blades of grass atop Tom Harrison's memorial
when I sing an old patriotic song I once sang in choir. 

I remember,
the excitement of singing to the church on Sunday morning,
a song I have heard only once, 
but performed with everyone anyway - soraklah alleluia. 

I remember,
the smell of nail polish, egg whites and scented candles,
during our spa session for the ladies,
they asked for entertainment, we sang Safe and Sound. 

I remember,
the off beat drums and tambourine,
the feel of an old Kelabit song book in my hands,
and the auctioning of langsat in church,
when I hum the melody of yet another Kelabit song I don't remember. 

I remember,
scrubbing a pig by the ears,
the putrid smell of pig food and the warm pig snout in my palms,
when I sing Amigos Para Siempre. 

I remember,
picking jungle vegetables, 
glimpses of an old random tepu',
and cha-cha lining round the long house
when we sang tutu' udan na pera. 

(whoops, that was poorly written)

Finally, I feel the happiest and most nostalgic when I sing the song our team wrote in Bario. To the melody of Zee Avi's 'Bitter heart', here is our rendition which tells of our story in Bario.


"Sun rays come down,
As they hit Bario grounds,
Chickens running around,
Sekitar Bario town.

Satu lagu untuk semua ibu,
Pasal hidup cucu dalam kampung ini,

Na na na na na

Cucu kuman, cucu mirup,
Nuba' laya', buah kabar,
Kerja sawah pasti lapar,
Cucu kuman, cucu mirup,
Chicken wings and tapioca,
Ajar English gembira pula.

Na na na na na

Weather is nice,
water is cold like ice,
my clothes they never dry,
But oh how fast time flies.

Panggil tepu', panggil salah,
panggil tepu' tapioca,
kalau suka sama suka,
tepu' kata-a jadi lah.
Boleh buka skolah cinta

Tepu'-tepu', we're leaving soon,
we'll think of you from sun to moon.
Sinah-sinah we say goodbye,
Gonna take bilun gonna fly,
Harap-harap kami sampai.

Tepu', sinah kita sayang semua."

Written by Vio and Felice.

These memories and songs are precious to me, perhaps even more than my weight in gold.








No comments:

Post a Comment