Monday 21 July 2014

People

The Kelabit and Penan people that I met at Bario were so nice and lovely. I am so blessed to meet them and be among them for the short two weeks that we were there. I am really amazed at how awesome they are and especially how they are, for sure, fitter than me!



11th: Mother’s Day

I have learnt that Bario is a very Christian village. We made our way to the church with Sina' Nicole. The church service starts around 9:30 at a building nearby the villages. It was a large hall with a simple layout and well facilitated equipments. 

Today also happens to be Mother's Day. At church, there were several performances: first by the Fathers, then all the children, then the women. After that, we the Project WHEE! presented two songs. I am so happy that my friends were willing to sing Christian songs on stage in front of the whole church despite being of different religions. It was a very humbling act and I am so glad to have friends who are so willing.

At the end, all the mothers and potential mothers went on stage as the church sang Selamat Hari Ibu. It was quite funny when some of the men/pastor of the church took the decoration flowers and handed them to the women.


15th: Because the weather is awesome!

Wow, we have been in Sarawak for a week. I really am enjoying my stay here in Bario. People of Bario love it too. They prefer their own simple village compared to the busy and hot city lifestyles.

Weather is a hot topic here among the Kelabits. Every time I meet people, they will ask me where I am from. I will tell them that I come from KL and our conversation easily steers into complaining how KL is so hot, especially compared to Bario, the land of the wind. A lady once told me that in KL, one has to shower to get rid of the heat. After he finished showering, he has to shower again because it is hot again!

Truly the weather here is amazing. Back home, KL heat makes it hard for us to be energetic in anything we do. I always feel very lethargic especially during the day. Air-conditioning cannot substitute for this type of air. It is so much easier to do work and be active here in Bario. This is surely a factor to why the elderly Kelabit men and women are so strong and fit. Like I have mentioned, I love the lifestyle in Bario but I still would choose to live in the city. However, when I am older and looking for a relaxing yet productive lifestyle, moving to Bario would be perfect. It has the weather, it has serenity, and I can do things rather than staying at home watching TV.

Ps. I still love KL. Everything has its goods and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment